Recovery time for different meniscus treatment proceedures
The human body is made up of different types of joints, cartilages, muscle connectors and ligaments which all combined work together to assist in our movement. Proper functioning of your arms and legs depending on important cartilages which cushion the different bone joints. These cushions prevent the bones from grinding against each other while moving or performing different types of activities.
Meniscus tear refers to a tear in the knee cartilage which cushions the thing bone and the shin bone. Meniscus tear treatment will mainly depend on the type of tear and severity of the condition. The common knee injuries relating to a torn meniscus include radial tears, horizontal tears, flap tears and degenerative tears. The treatment options normally range from physical therapies, different types of medications and even surgery in some cases.
However, the recovery time after said treatment is crucial which is classified accordingly:
- Recovery time after meniscus tear treatment will vary depending on what type of treatment was opted for.
- Recovery time mainly depends on your age, weight, physical activity you used to do before the surgery or treatment. Your overall health condition will make a lot of difference when it comes to determining the recovery period.
- Arthroscopy is a common surgical procedure, after which it takes around 6 weeks for the knee joint to regain fluid flow for normal function. This is the one procedure which has a longer recovery time, but with more benefits when compared to other surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- Partial meniscectomy: This meniscus tear treatment procedure mainly involves the surgeons removing the damaged or torn tissue from the cartilage. As the name suggests only a part of the cartilage is scraped away leaving the cartilage to heal over a period of 2 weeks after which patients are strong enough to go back to their routine. People who are active athletes can resume their sports activities in 3 to 4 weeks time and can participate in competing events without hesitation after a recovery period of 6 to 8 weeks.
- Meniscus tear treatment repair: These are the most common knee injuries which can be sustained and can be treated with a procedure known as meniscus repair. The rehabilitation time for this surgical procedure is estimated at 3 to 4 weeks.
You can find information and testimonials of people who have undergone surgery from medical websites and journals online to be more informed about the procedure to be performed.